I am in familiar territory. I have been down this recovery road before and not all that long ago. As the Gods of irony would have it, almost one year exactly has passed that I had knee surgery. I won’t mince words…it truly sucks to have just barely earned my dancing feet back and then have this back issue take me down for another surgery and long recovery.
But, I’m trying to find the silver lining. I’m trying not to go down the rabbit hole that is taunting me. With as positive a mindset as I can muster, I think, at least I know in advance how I will feel. It is a small concession to realize I will feel isolated, sad, helpless, depressed, and confined, but, a concession, nonetheless. It lets me better prepare now for the “after” part. This time I will try to get ahead of all those emotions and use the energy for productive things. After the Percocet wears off, anyway. 🙂
To that end, I’m making a list of goals to accomplish while I am rehabilitating my back. I am a big list person, always have been, always will be. There is just something strangely satisfying about crossing my words off on a piece of paper, or better yet, completing the list and throwing the paper away. There is some unexplainable quality that makes me feel like I achieved something, no matter how small or big. Yep, I am that person who thinks post-it-notes are the best thing ever invented! And then they came out with the ones with LINES ON THEM! Heaven, I say.
Couple my fondness for list-making with the fact that I am also the kind of person who feels invigorated when a special project is afoot. It gives me something to look forward to, something to focus on and hold my attention. And, again, this makes me feel like I have accomplished something and am productive.
I know that is just what I will need over the next few months; a list of projects!!! Some items pertain to my flamenco dancing and some do not. Some things are for my brain, some things are for my body, and some things are for my soul. They are all, however, for my sanity. 🙂
Lori’s Spine Surgery Recovery To-Do List
- As I did before, I will continue practicing my upper body marcaje, palmas and castañuelas. I think there was marked improvement when I went back to class last time, so aim to make them even better!
- Pick up where I left off with my Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons. I can understand Spanish all day long when I read it or am being spoken to, but Lord knows I can’t say a full sentence back to someone yet. Weird, huh?
- Another thing I’d like to pick back up on is my genealogy research and add some more branches to my family tree.
- Add to the chair solea piece I started to work on last year when I was home-bound. I never finished it and think I have a lot more to say now I can infuse into it. Someone said to me recently, “You are a flamenca, on or off your feet.” Here’s to putting that to action.
- Complete a photo book for Cassidy that chronicles her life from birth till high school graduation. I think it’s a pretty good start and will keep me busy. A healthy perspective and outlook, I know, will be crucial to my getting better. Here’s hoping the next time I get my dancing feet back, I can stay on them for a long while!